• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

kipwinger

2024 Pre-Season Thread

Rate this topic

All 3 of the top line looked good, although Id like to see Cat swapped for Tarasenko.

Edvinsson looked good.

Outside of the expected Kasper was the best player on the ice. He might not be elite at anything but he does everything at a high level. skating, stickhandling, passing, shooting, forechecking he can do it all. I think hed look great on Larkins wing along with Ray as well.

Lombardi and Johansson showed flashes. I liked what I seen from Soderblom. Finnie continues to impress as a late rounder.

Im as high as anyone on MBN but he didnt stand out liked Id hoped. Hoping for a better showing next game.

1 hour ago, stephen-gregory-yzerman said:

All 3 of the top line looked good, although Id like to see Cat swapped for Tarasenko.

Edvinsson looked good.

Outside of the expected Kasper was the best player on the ice. He might not be elite at anything but he does everything at a high level. skating, stickhandling, passing, shooting, forechecking he can do it all. I think hed look great on Larkins wing along with Ray as well.

Lombardi and Johansson showed flashes. I liked what I seen from Soderblom. Finnie continues to impress as a late rounder.

Im as high as anyone on MBN but he didnt stand out liked Id hoped. Hoping for a better showing next game.

I didn't  think MBN was dominant or anything, but he's a first year rookie, so my expectations were tempered. I thought his line with Kasper and Sodorblom was one of the Red Wings most effective and I really liked his forechecking a lot. He's also got way better handles with the puck than I'd been anticipating. For being one of the youngest guys in the game I thought he more than held his own.

1 hour ago, AtlantaHotWings said:

Besides the ones mentioned I think Mazer had a pretty solid game. I did find it interesting how the Chicago announcers kept talking about Kasper being engaged. 

But it was one game lets see how things pan out the rest of the pre season

Forgot to mention Mazur. Next to Kasper he was the most impressive imo. Both continuing what they did in the playoffs last season.

And I'm here to say Kasper is going to be an absolute beast. He had three shorthanded scoring chances last night. Two were shorthanded breakaways and the other he dangled out of a corner past two defensemen. Dude is an absolute winner and I can't wait till he out there wrecking defensemen on the forecheck and scoring game winners.

Edited by kipwinger

Lalonde's out here talking about "we need toughness and also someone who can play" in reference to Austin Watson. Does he think we forgot about his handling of Klim Kostin? Didn't we already have a better version of this exact guy on our team?

Edited by kipwinger

43 minutes ago, kipwinger said:

And I'm here to say Kasper is going to be an absolute beast. He had three shorthanded scoring chances last night. Two were shorthanded breakaways and the other he dangled out of a corner past two defensemen. Dude is an absolute winner and I can't wait till he dummies defensemen on the forecheck.

Kasper plays so heavy.  He's going to be a good top 6 guy in 2-3 years.  

28 minutes ago, kipwinger said:

Lalonde's out here talking about "we need toughness and also someone who can play" in reference to Austin Watson. Does he think we forgot about his handling of Klim Kostin? Didn't we already have a better version of this exact guy on our team?

Lalonde is an idiot.  We need 1st round draft picks IN THE LINEUP.  Not in Grand Rapids.  Not in Sweden.  In the ******* lineup.  The SCAM and Lalonde have the roster management skills of a chimpanzee.

*COPP HATERS TRIGGER WARNING*

I love Andrews interviews. You can tell he's a student of the game, and a student of sport in general. He managed to make analogies to football and baseball multiple times in his last media availability. If you didn't know who was speaking, you would think it's a coach talking. His answers to questions are sobering, honest, and insightful. One can tell he was a multi sport athlete with a lot of different experiences. I'd bet money he will be coaching NHL hockey once his playing career ends. That's how his brain works. 

And his good soldiering continues. He mentioned that he's been asked to continue leading the Wings #1 shutdown line, and will again receive the hardest matchups. He also alluded to the fact that he already has good chemistry with his linemates. Which I take to mean the Ras-Copp-Fish line is staying together. 

Also

In the same media availability Danielson talked about how the training camp and preseason this year was/is way more intense this year. This team is hungry. He also talked about how much he looks up to Kane and how much a confidence boost it is for a guy like Kane to give him compliments. Larkin is a great player and leader, obviously, but this is why you bring in future HOFers. When a future HOF talks that sheet hits different. And on the fun side, he mentioned MBN is the funniest guy he's ever met. 

Copp’s a horse. He’s not appreciated (even by me at times) but he’s asked to carry a pretty heavy load and he shoulders it. Just like Ras, Fischer, and Seider. I’ve always respected those tough minutes guys. I think Copp is a genuinely tough dude and a hell of an all around player. He’s this team’s Kris Draper.

1 hour ago, AtlantaHotWings said:

Anyone know if the game is televised or being streamed?

Looked on DetroitRedWings.com where the last game was streamed and nadda. 

Checked NHL network and nadda

Figured with wife out of town it was a perfect night for whiskey and wings 

It's supposed to be on DetroitRedWings.com, they'll update it right before game time.

34 minutes ago, AtlantaHotWings said:

Had checked a little too soon it’s posted now thanks Kip! Now just need our power to come back and all will be well. 

I’m definitely ready for Ken, Mick, and the boys to call my games. Preseason is always a little “off” without them.

15 hours ago, Scott R Lucidi said:

Kasper plays so heavy.  He's going to be a good top 6 guy in 2-3 years.  

Lalonde is an idiot.  We need 1st round draft picks IN THE LINEUP.  Not in Grand Rapids.  Not in Sweden.  In the ******* lineup.  The SCAM and Lalonde have the roster management skills of a chimpanzee.

I will agree that Lalonde is a Blashill clone and hopefully this is his last season behind the bench in Detroit.

16 hours ago, Jimmybigrigs69 said:

*COPP HATERS TRIGGER WARNING*

I love Andrews interviews. You can tell he's a student of the game, and a student of sport in general. He managed to make analogies to football and baseball multiple times in his last media availability. If you didn't know who was speaking, you would think it's a coach talking. His answers to questions are sobering, honest, and insightful. One can tell he was a multi sport athlete with a lot of different experiences. I'd bet money he will be coaching NHL hockey once his playing career ends. That's how his brain works. 

And his good soldiering continues. He mentioned that he's been asked to continue leading the Wings #1 shutdown line, and will again receive the hardest matchups. He also alluded to the fact that he already has good chemistry with his linemates. Which I take to mean the Ras-Copp-Fish line is staying together. 

Also

In the same media availability Danielson talked about how the training camp and preseason this year was/is way more intense this year. This team is hungry. He also talked about how much he looks up to Kane and how much a confidence boost it is for a guy like Kane to give him compliments. Larkin is a great player and leader, obviously, but this is why you bring in future HOFers. When a future HOF talks that sheet hits different. And on the fun side, he mentioned MBN is the funniest guy he's ever met. 

You 180'd me on this guy.  I wasn't seeing it, but when you said it, a lightbulb went off.  The Red Wings had this guy covering for the TRASH they were icing the last 2 seasons.  As our prospects mature, this guy and his contract should start to age like fine wine.  And what a pro this cat is with the media.  Doesn't bad mount other teammates.  Doesn't badmouth management.  Said "I'm doing my best to do what's been asked of me so far."  All of us that have half a brain can translate that into "My 20% decrease in production is because I have to cover for the TRASH they put out there with me."  Thank you for this one, Colin.  You nailed it.

2 hours ago, Motor City Mullets said:

I will agree that Lalonde is a Blashill clone and hopefully this is his last season behind the bench in Detroit.

I will be shocked if Quenville isn't coaching the Wings next year.  We just need one more trash season with Lalonde playing the SCAM's TRASH defense duo of pylons to sink what would have been a successful season, and that will make way for a night and day coaching change.  I would have made this move already, but the SCAM is kind of a gard with GM'ing outside of talent and character scouting.

21 minutes ago, Scott R Lucidi said:

You 180'd me on this guy.  I wasn't seeing it, but when you said it, a lightbulb went off.  The Red Wings had this guy covering for the TRASH they were icing the last 2 seasons.  As our prospects mature, this guy and his contract should start to age like fine wine.  And what a pro this cat is with the media.  Doesn't bad mount other teammates.  Doesn't badmouth management.  Said "I'm doing my best to do what's been asked of me so far."  All of us that have half a brain can translate that into "My 20% decrease in production is because I have to cover for the TRASH they put out there with me."  Thank you for this one, Colin.  You nailed it.

I will be shocked if Quenville isn't coaching the Wings next year.  We just need one more trash season with Lalonde playing the SCAM's TRASH defense duo of pylons to sink what would have been a successful season, and that will make way for a night and day coaching change.  I would have made this move already, but the SCAM is kind of a gard with GM'ing outside of talent and character scouting.

If Copp is covering for anyone it's Dylan Larkin. I wouldn't call Dylan trash.

With Copp taking the toughest matchups Dylan doesn't have to focus on shuting down elite 1Cs anymore, and can instead prey on weaker 2Cs. 

With Copp running the PK Dylan doesn't have to anymore, and can instead rest during the PK so he's fresh to go back out and score when it ends.

What I like about Copp is he's a good teammate and soldier who's bought in completely to this system. He's not focused on the dip in his personal stats this deployment causes, he's focused on doing what's the best for the team. And its easy to see why he's willing to make that sacrifice when he speaks. He sees and understands the bigger picture of what's going on. Much like a coach.

Do you wanna get sick stats and be a star, or do you wanna win cups? Copp is the later. 

On him having a coaches mind, he says things i wouldnt expect the average player to say. They asked Kane about Danielson and Kaner said he reminds him a lot of Bedard, the way he shoots and moves with the puck... A very nice compliment, but nothing that insightful. When they asked Copp about Danielson he said oh yeah he could play in this league, he's good, but he's only 180 lbs and he's going to get worn down and hurt. It would better if Nate got up to 195 lbs with his frame and then he would probably be an impactful player for ALL 82 games... thats how a coach or a manager thinks, not a player... he also talked about how hockey is a room full of guys all from relatively the same cultures and backgrounds. But when he played football his teammates were a much more diverse group, and that expierence benefited him in being able to mesh well with others. Again, a much more insightful and reflective thought than what 99% of players think to say. The guy has a good head on his shoulders and is probably someone you want with a letter on their chest. 

1 minute ago, Jimmybigrigs69 said:

If Copp is covering for anyone it's Dylan Larkin. I wouldn't call Dylan trash.

With Copp taking the toughest matchups Dylan doesn't have to focus on shuting down elite 1Cs anymore, and can instead prey on weaker 2Cs. 

With Copp running the PK Dylan doesn't have to anymore, and can instead rest during the PK so he's fresh to go back out and score when it ends.

What I like about Copp is he's a good teammate and soldier who's bought in completely to this system. He's not focused on the dip in his personal stats this deployment causes, he's focused on doing what's the best for the team. And its easy to see why he's willing to make that sacrifice when he speaks. He sees and understands the bigger picture of what's going on. Much like a coach.

Do you wanna get sick stats and be a star, or do you wanna win cups? Copp is the later. 

On him having a coaches mind, he says things i wouldnt expect the average player to say. They asked Kane about Danielson and Kaner said he reminds him a lot of Bedard, the way he shoots and moves with the puck... A very nice compliment, but nothing that insightful. When they asked Copp about Danielson he said oh yeah he could play in this league, he's good, but he's only 180 lbs and he's going to get worn down and hurt. It would better if Nate got up to 195 lbs with his frame and then he would probably be an impactful player for ALL 82 games... thats how a coach or a manager thinks, not a player... he also talked about how hockey is a room full of guys all from relatively the same cultures and backgrounds. But when he played football his teammates were a much more diverse group, and that expierence benefited him in being able to mesh well with others. Again, a much more insightful and reflective thought than what 99% of players think to say. The guy has a good head on his shoulders and is probably someone you want with a letter on their chest. 

I see what you're saying.  But what I'm saying is that if our TRASH pylon duo was Edvinsson and ASP instead, Copp could back check a little less frequently and stay in the offensive zone a little more frequently no matter what line of the opponent he was checking.  Having (4) good defensemen is a big deal.  We didn't win when Lidstrom and Kronwall dropped off to Smith and Kindl.  We won when Lidstrom and Rafalski dropped off to the Kronwall and Chelios.  This team is a GIGANTIC TEASE as long as it thinks Chiarot and Petry can handle top 4 duties.  They can't even handle 3rd pairing duties in the AHL.  And that's not fair to our forwards.  The SCAM phucked the fans out of a playoff run last year by iceing those 2 dooshbags, and he's about to do the same thing this year.  There is ZERO reason to have ASP over in Sweden learning the SHL rink any longer.  That kid need to play 9 games in Detroit this year and the rest in the AHL.  Balances of power aren't 5 year swings in pro sports any more.  They're one year swings.  The Red Wings, like the Detroit Tigers, could be ready THIS year if all of their 1st and 2nd round draft picks are ready.  Not next year.  Not 2027.  THIS PHUCKING YEAR.  The SCAM needs to get his shet together, take out the trash, and get this team solidified for a cup run THIS YEAR.

4 hours ago, Scott R Lucidi said:

I see what you're saying.  But what I'm saying is that if our TRASH pylon duo was Edvinsson and ASP instead, Copp could back check a little less frequently and stay in the offensive zone a little more frequently no matter what line of the opponent he was checking.  Having (4) good defensemen is a big deal.  We didn't win when Lidstrom and Kronwall dropped off to Smith and Kindl.  We won when Lidstrom and Rafalski dropped off to the Kronwall and Chelios.  This team is a GIGANTIC TEASE as long as it thinks Chiarot and Petry can handle top 4 duties.  They can't even handle 3rd pairing duties in the AHL.  And that's not fair to our forwards.  The SCAM phucked the fans out of a playoff run last year by iceing those 2 dooshbags, and he's about to do the same thing this year.  There is ZERO reason to have ASP over in Sweden learning the SHL rink any longer.  That kid need to play 9 games in Detroit this year and the rest in the AHL.  Balances of power aren't 5 year swings in pro sports any more.  They're one year swings.  The Red Wings, like the Detroit Tigers, could be ready THIS year if all of their 1st and 2nd round draft picks are ready.  Not next year.  Not 2027.  THIS PHUCKING YEAR.  The SCAM needs to get his shet together, take out the trash, and get this team solidified for a cup run THIS YEAR.

You've actually convinced me with this post. I bow out.