• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Scott R Lucidi

Offersheeting Broberg

Rate this topic

17 hours ago, Scott R Lucidi said:

Time to give up a draft pick(s) and put the screws to EDM.

https://www.capfriendly.com/offer-sheet-calculator

7 years, 6,750,000 a year.

Would cost us a first and a third.

Get Raymond, Seider, Edvinsson all locked up long term, and then put a dagger in EDM.

A 1st would be enough to get him in a trade. 

4 hours ago, Akakabuto said:

A 1st would be enough to get him in a trade. 

No Chance.  This kid is about to break out, Sven.  If Edmonton gets to sign him for nothing so they can keep being Toronto part 2, that will suck.  He'd basically Simon Edvinsson.  We could use another Simon Edvinsson.

image.png

1 hour ago, Axl Foley said:

I am not sure you understand how losing a first for nothing negatively impacts a rebuild.

You're not understanding.  The Oil are up against it.  They CANNOT resign Broberg at 6.75 million without letting go of something else.  Would be a shrewd move by the SCAM to put the screws to the new Oilers GM.

image.thumb.png.a1dabad44282f95b97284713a434cbca.png

Edmonton shouldn't be allowed to underpay Broberg and Holloway on sweetheart deals while they ice an all star team?  Come on.  Bouchard is going to need a massive raise in a year.  Draisaitl should get a 2-3 million dollar raise.  Skinner will need more $ after he pots 35 goals/65 pts this year.  There are a couple ways EDM can keep Broberg if he gets offersheeted 6.75 mil.  Trade or LTIR 2 big ticket players.  No way the league doesn't take notice if 2 guys totaling 11 mil go down pre-season for the entire year and bounce back up with 2 games to go.  So they'd need to trade 2 valuable players.

image.thumb.png.f3f8d44ab6fce1338fd545cd6cabb89c.png

Or they pull a Toronto and go with a 20 man roster and manage injuries to significant players throughout the year to get their cap number under 88 mil.

image.png.a6aad4a3951fac3c66fa26e3ecfd1bc3.png

Either way, the offersheet puts EDM in hell.  Better to put them there NOW instead of letting them win a cup.  EDM fked up and played Broberg 12 games this year instead of 10.  That puts him at 81 GP and ELLIGIBLE FOR OFFERSHEET.  

https://www.capfriendly.com/offer-sheet-faq

What do the Red Wings lose if they get Broberg at 6.75 mil for 5 years?  A 2025 1st and 2025 3rd.  We get the 2019 #8 pick fully developed at 23 years old for the 2025 #20 pick and 2025 #84 pick.  HUGE WIN.

What do the Red Wings lose if Edm matches - absolutely nothing.  They win again.  They put Edm in a position where they need to move pieces to accommodate the added cap hit.  This may not seem like it matters in October, but when you get to May, it will surely matter.

If the SCAM wants to do something a cut throat GM would do, he should first get all his RFA's and Edvinsson signed, and then offersheet Broberg 6.75 Mil for 5 years.

Is this going to put him at odds with some GM's in the league?  Maybe.  So what.  What are the other GM's and the commissioner doing for the Red Wings over the last 15 years?  SHYTE.  Absolutely nothing.  Make the move, SCAM.

On 7/7/2024 at 1:55 PM, Scott R Lucidi said:

You're not understanding.  The Oil are up against it.  They CANNOT resign Broberg at 6.75 million without letting go of something else.  Would be a shrewd move by the SCAM to put the screws to the new Oilers GM.

image.thumb.png.a1dabad44282f95b97284713a434cbca.png

Edmonton shouldn't be allowed to underpay Broberg and Holloway on sweetheart deals while they ice an all star team?  Come on.  Bouchard is going to need a massive raise in a year.  Draisaitl should get a 2-3 million dollar raise.  Skinner will need more $ after he pots 35 goals/65 pts this year.  There are a couple ways EDM can keep Broberg if he gets offersheeted 6.75 mil.  Trade or LTIR 2 big ticket players.  No way the league doesn't take notice if 2 guys totaling 11 mil go down pre-season for the entire year and bounce back up with 2 games to go.  So they'd need to trade 2 valuable players.

image.thumb.png.f3f8d44ab6fce1338fd545cd6cabb89c.png

Or they pull a Toronto and go with a 20 man roster and manage injuries to significant players throughout the year to get their cap number under 88 mil.

image.png.a6aad4a3951fac3c66fa26e3ecfd1bc3.png

Either way, the offersheet puts EDM in hell.  Better to put them there NOW instead of letting them win a cup.  EDM fked up and played Broberg 12 games this year instead of 10.  That puts him at 81 GP and ELLIGIBLE FOR OFFERSHEET.  

https://www.capfriendly.com/offer-sheet-faq

What do the Red Wings lose if they get Broberg at 6.75 mil for 5 years?  A 2025 1st and 2025 3rd.  We get the 2019 #8 pick fully developed at 23 years old for the 2025 #20 pick and 2025 #84 pick.  HUGE WIN.

What do the Red Wings lose if Edm matches - absolutely nothing.  They win again.  They put Edm in a position where they need to move pieces to accommodate the added cap hit.  This may not seem like it matters in October, but when you get to May, it will surely matter.

If the SCAM wants to do something a cut throat GM would do, he should first get all his RFA's and Edvinsson signed, and then offersheet Broberg 6.75 Mil for 5 years.

Is this going to put him at odds with some GM's in the league?  Maybe.  So what.  What are the other GM's and the commissioner doing for the Red Wings over the last 15 years?  SHYTE.  Absolutely nothing.  Make the move, SCAM.

If we give up a first and he doesn't work out, it's going to hurt a lot

1 hour ago, town123 said:

Wouldn't offering 4.5 AAV only cost us a 2nd?    Could the Oil match that?    Probably not

That's a great point.  I thought of that, but they'd have a greater chance of maneuvering around that.  $6.75 Mil would pretty much guarantee he ends up on our squad, I would think.  And to those saying would it hurt if we lost a 1st round pick around the #20 range and a 3rd round pick around the #84 range if Broberg turned out to be like Oli Maatta instead of like Victor Hedman?  There's a chance.  Pasternak was drafted in that range, and you can land a good NHLer at #20.  But Broberg was selected #8 overall.  He's 6'4", 212 Lbs, has a huge reach, skates like the wind, plays with his head up, and is needs no more "Ripening" in the AHL.  I would rather take my chances with him than with whoever we take at #20 and #84 next draft.  This is a NO BRAINER move for me.  I cannot believe that teams in the NHL aren't going after this guy right now.  If the SCAM wants to get better without having to do much, he should get Seider and Raymond signed as fast as possible, and then offer sheet Broberg for 5 years, 6.75 mil a season.  It's a very prudent move that speeds the rebuild, and it should be made.

2 hours ago, LeftWinger said:

Bingo.  IMO, Bouchard is much less talented in the defensive zone, and Broberg has the ability to play huge minutes 5 on 5.  Is Bouchard a better PP QB and does Bouchard deserve all the PP minutes and points that come along with it?  Sure.  Not denying that Bouchard can shoot the puck and has a good PP IQ.  He proved that this year and post season.  But Broberg should not have to watch Nurse make 9.25 mil and Bouchard get signed for 9.75 mil while he plays for league minimum.  That's a joke.  Edmonton has a salary cap problem right now because they have the results of (4) #1 OA picks and (3) other top 10 picks on their team all competing for minutes, points, and salary cap dollars.  Bettman Fk'd over the rest of the league by allowing them to draft so many talented players in such a short span.  For the rest of the league to just let Betman and the Oilers jam up certain players and underpay them while other players get paid for their worth is WRONG.  It's exactly why there's a salary cap, CBA, and Players Association in place.  The SCAM would not be risking his relationships with other GM's or be a bad guy for offer sheeting Broberg.  He'd be using the leagues rules to manage his team to the best of his ability.  Would the oilers not like to see Broberg offer sheeted?  Of course they don't want that.  Should it happen?  Absolutely.  It has to happen.  

BTW, I've mentioned this before, but the Oilers only needed to play Broberg 2 less games last year to make this all irrelevant.  A player isn't eligible to be offersheeted until he hits 80 games played in the NHL.  They played him 12 games instead of 10, and now he has 81 games played.  So just in case you're one of those guys that says "If you're so smart, why aren't you .... blah blah blah", these GM's aren't that smart.  They're just former hockey players that have at best a 10th grade education level.  Most of these guys are in their positions because they know hockey.  Not how to run a business.  And a GM SHOULD know how to run a business.

And what is that makes people think there is some cigar smoking lounge with Cubans and Louis VIII cognac that all the GM's gather at and rub each other off?  I'm sure some of these guys play golf together, but I can't understand why people think there's some ban list that you go on if you offer sheet another guy.  Trades happen when BOTH gm's of a deal see value.  Not because of a cigar lounge circle jerk association.  If an offer sheet happens, a GM is going to decide what he wants to do with his player that got offersheeted.  Then he's going to make that decision final.  After that, he'll enter trade negotiation the very next breath if the trade has value to him.  

What Axl Foley has in his mind:

Yzerman offersheeted my guy.  That a-hole. I'll get him back.  As soon as Nate Danielson comes up for RFA, I'm going to offer sheet him 25 million.

Reality:

Damn, time to get to work on Plan B - Jenny, Get Nill on the line for me.  Jim, Oilers GM here.  Still interested in Kane and Eckholm, both 33% retained, for your 1st and 3rd next year?  Cool.  I'll send the paperwork tonight.  Thanks buddy.  See you in May again. Be ready!

1 hour ago, Scott R Lucidi said:

And what is that makes people think there is some cigar smoking lounge with Cubans and Louis VIII cognac that all the GM's gather at and rub each other off?  I'm sure some of these guys play golf together, but I can't understand why people think there's some ban list that you go on if you offer sheet another guy.  Trades happen when BOTH gm's of a deal see value.  Not because of a cigar lounge circle jerk association.  If an offer sheet happens, a GM is going to decide what he wants to do with his player that got offersheeted.  Then he's going to make that decision final.  After that, he'll enter trade negotiation the very next breath if the trade has value to him.  

What Axl Foley has in his mind:

Yzerman offersheeted my guy.  That a-hole. I'll get him back.  As soon as Nate Danielson comes up for RFA, I'm going to offer sheet him 25 million.

Reality:

Damn, time to get to work on Plan B - Jenny, Get Nill on the line for me.  Jim, Oilers GM here.  Still interested in Kane and Eckholm, both 33% retained, for your 1st and 3rd next year?  Cool.  I'll send the paperwork tonight.  Thanks buddy.  See you in May again. Be ready!

And you are forgetting that GMs are human beings with long memories. If you don't think reputation matters, than ask anyone in ANY profession if they want to work with someone that has a bad rep. They don't. That is how the real business world works.

29 minutes ago, Axl Foley said:

And you are forgetting that GMs are human beings with long memories. If you don't think reputation matters, than ask anyone in ANY profession if they want to work with someone that has a bad rep. They don't. That is how the real business world works.

Trying to tell rabbi scout how to do biznass

Good luck

37 minutes ago, Axl Foley said:

I'm not forgetting anything.  I'm saying that operating within the rule book is not frowned upon.  The SCAM has every right to offer sheet a player getting lowballed by his club.  The same way Carolina offer sheeted Fedorov when the Red Wings were in love with inferior Steve Yzerman and dicking over Fedorov.  And that was PRE-Salary Cap.  The Wings could have afforded to pay him whatever they wanted back then.  Whatever he asked for.  And they played hardball for no reason.  Time for the Red Wings to get smart with the rulebook and use it.