• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Troy McClure

2024 Offseason Thread

Rate this topic

1 hour ago, kipwinger said:

Yep, my only point was that we gave up a lot to move Walman and I'm not convinced Fowler is any better than Walman was. His counting stats are slightly better and his analytics are much worse. He's undoubtedly more expensive tho when you consider we A) gave up Gibson, and B) costs more. If SY went out and acquired Fowler after moving Walman I'd be pretty irritated by the poor asset management.

Paying to ship out a Dman then paying to get a similar Dman, I hear ya.

Crazy what steals Fabbri and Walman were, only to have to pay to be rid of them. They definately musta been the party boys on the team.

I do like that Yzerman didn't fuss about it. He knew he didn't want either on the team next year, and moved them despite the price. 

Slowly we're becoming a big boy team

4 hours ago, Jimmybigrigs69 said:

Paying to ship out a Dman then paying to get a similar Dman, I hear ya.

Crazy what steals Fabbri and Walman were, only to have to pay to be rid of them. They definately musta been the party boys on the team.

I do like that Yzerman didn't fuss about it. He knew he didn't want either on the team next year, and moved them despite the price. 

Slowly we're becoming a big boy team

Walman was said to have been a divisive individual within the locker room.

1 hour ago, Motor City Mullets said:

Walman was said to have been a divisive individual within the locker room.

By who? All I've heard is Larkin's quote. He said, when asked about the end of the season "guys played through injury, guys laid it all out on the ice, the focus we had on the road... some guys didnt have that, and we addressed that in the offseason."

Walman was benched right after the western road trip that took them to Vegas. I'm betting he was out partying during the road trips, while the rest of the team was buckling down. Stevie sent a clear message by paying to ship him out. 

Bob Duff also has an article out there talking about how old school Yzerman is, and how he doesnt like showboating. And the Gritty celebrations probably didnt help his case. 

Then you have Fabbri, who was Walmans buddy from STL, and was literally always injured... meanwhile Copp is skating througg crazy injuries and Seider is going to the hospital and then checking himself out early so he can play in the next game. 

Whatever happened, its clear that those two weren't viewed by management or their captain as committed to winning.

1 hour ago, Jimmybigrigs69 said:

By who? All I've heard is Larkin's quote. He said, when asked about the end of the season "guys played through injury, guys laid it all out on the ice, the focus we had on the road... some guys didnt have that, and we addressed that in the offseason."

Walman was benched right after the western road trip that took them to Vegas. I'm betting he was out partying during the road trips, while the rest of the team was buckling down. Stevie sent a clear message by paying to ship him out. 

Bob Duff also has an article out there talking about how old school Yzerman is, and how he doesnt like showboating. And the Gritty celebrations probably didnt help his case. 

Then you have Fabbri, who was Walmans buddy from STL, and was literally always injured... meanwhile Copp is skating througg crazy injuries and Seider is going to the hospital and then checking himself out early so he can play in the next game. 

Whatever happened, its clear that those two weren't viewed by management or their captain as committed to winning.

Within a few days after the  end of the reg season there was a recap on a Red Wings sub-Reddit...A poster there commented that he/she knows a roster player (of course no names mentioned) and that this player said how Walman was a bit of an issue throughout the season, but things got worse when Larkin went down with his injury.

Keep in mind this was weeks before Walman was traded to SJ...

1 hour ago, Motor City Mullets said:

Within a few days after the  end of the reg season there was a recap on a Red Wings sub-Reddit...A poster there commented that he/she knows a roster player (of course no names mentioned) and that this player said how Walman was a bit of an issue throughout the season, but things got worse when Larkin went down with his injury.

Keep in mind this was weeks before Walman was traded to SJ...

There's also the fortnite stuff, the same thing that got Laine into trouble. If you watched Walmans "day in the life" his daily routine was wake up, go to practice, pick up Chipotle on the way home, and then play fortnite the rest of the day/night. Ma fuqqa was eating Chipotle EVERYDAY, and spending more time on vidya than he was on hockey. And he literally does fortnite dances to celebrate his goals. When the media asked him about his fortnite dance after his 2nd griddy dance last year he literally said "add me on fortnite, im always on". 

Junior players are literally told by their teams to scrub their social media of any vidya references, because pro clubs see it as a distraction from hockey. 

In an interview Keith Tkachuk said his son Matt was staying at his house the night before a game, and he got mad because Matt had stayed up super late playing vidya... and his wife was like "well at least he's not out partying before his game" and Keith was like that almost made me more mad, cause if you're gonna stay up all night before a game, it at least better be for a good reason like you were getting drunk, having wild fun, and getting laid... but instead my idiot kid is wasting his night playing vidya.

I think most of the old boys club probably share Keiths viewpoint. And id bet money Walmans Playstation was traveling on the road with him...

On 9/23/2024 at 12:15 PM, Jimmybigrigs69 said:

Yeah, I read he was a standout at the Preds rookie camp.

I really like Kiiskanen coming back, but we definately gave up a valuable D prospect to move Walman and keep our 2nd. Luckily I think Kiiskanen and Plante will turn out to decent middle 6 forwards. And I figure Mo and ASP are the future of our RHD, so Gibson was movable. 

Gibson and ASP are two totally different players.   Gibson is 6'3" 200lbs, blocks a tonne of shots, good vision and smarts and while nasty defensively has a pretty good offensive side.   ASP won't make anyone fear him defensively.

Local Windsor kid/Red Wing lover.... argh we gone miss him.

5 hours ago, town123 said:

Gibson and ASP are two totally different players.   Gibson is 6'3" 200lbs, blocks a tonne of shots, good vision and smarts and while nasty defensively has a pretty good offensive side.   ASP won't make anyone fear him defensively.

What you described first is 99% of defensemen (Including Seider and Edvinsson).  Wouldn't hurt to have a Makar/Fox/Doughty type of guy in our lineup to augment the 5 other guys.

9 hours ago, Scott R Lucidi said:

What you described first is 99% of defensemen (Including Seider and Edvinsson).  Wouldn't hurt to have a Makar/Fox/Doughty type of guy in our lineup to augment the 5 other guys.

Oh I'm looking forward to ASP making the team in a year or two.   I just hate giving up a guy that can do it all and punish people.   Can't we have both?

18 hours ago, town123 said:

Gibson and ASP are two totally different styles, I agree. But there is only 1spot behind Seider for another top4 RHD. And ASP is pretty well pegged for that role.

Gibson might turn out better defensively, but ASP is the blue line puck mover this roster desperately lacks. Eddogg and Mo will do the heavy lifting at defense.

That all I said, I read that, at Preds camp, Gibson actually reached out with his stick and used it to push his defense partner into better defensive positioning lol kid will prolly be a good one.

Anybody else following the Swayman saga in Boston? Could their handling of the goalie situation been any worse? They bench a Vezina winner (Ullmark) for the flavor of the month (Swayman) in the playoffs, and then have no more success than they would have with Ullmark. THEN they trade Ullmark, who is under contract a 5 million for another year, and make the Swayman THE GUY. Whoops, THE GUY wasn't under contract and now that they've traded away the only other option they had in goal he's got all the leverage. He's already turned down a 7.8 million dollar contract and seems intent on squeezing them for everything they've got left.

Just a really, REALLY, dumb way to manage assets. All to our benefit by the way.

22 minutes ago, kipwinger said:

Anybody else following the Swayman saga in Boston? Could their handling of the goalie situation been any worse? They bench a Vezina winner (Ullmark) for the flavor of the month (Swayman) in the playoffs, and then have no more success than they would have with Ullmark. THEN they trade Ullmark, who is under contract a 5 million for another year, and make the Swayman THE GUY. Whoops, THE GUY wasn't under contract and now that they've traded away the only other option they had in goal he's got all the leverage. He's already turned down a 7.8 million dollar contract and seems intent on squeezing them for everything they've got left.

Just a really, REALLY, dumb way to manage assets. All to our benefit by the way.

Trade them Husso and let Swayman sit for a year.

Anyhow, here's some more trade suggestions for us.

785014303_Screenshot2024-10-01114600.thumb.png.971d6f35bf2c3e77777d25f16a0785ca.png1452905618_Screenshot2024-10-01114617.thumb.png.5a26c9efb23b1a83790a1e9e231c10ba.png

This gets us into the playoffs, then when some more contracts fall off next summer, you upgrade some kids, get into a bidding war for Shesterkin (if he hasn't re-signed) and become a Cup favorite team! (re-sign Kane again as long as he is still a point per game player this season.) Maatta, Petry and Lyon walk. Fish and Motte re-sign to anchor the 4th line.

46 minutes ago, kipwinger said:

This is worth popping some popcorn and watching things explode

https://x.com/search?q=swayman&src=typed_query&f=top

2 hours ago, Motor City Mullets said:

Swayman is likely gonna find a new zip code to call home within a few weeks...Doubt he'll ever play again in Boston (unless he's the opposing goalie).

Would you trade for him knowing what his contract demands are? He has no value in trade if everyone knows he wants 8+ million per season AND he’s willing to miss games to prove it? 

34 minutes ago, kipwinger said:

Would you trade for him knowing what his contract demands are? He has no value in trade if everyone knows he wants 8+ million per season AND he’s willing to miss games to prove it? 

He may have to settle for less in both aav and term if he wants to play this season...With Neely/Sweeney in the public spotlight over this (and the amount $$$ disclosed) might see a rival GM throw Swayman an offer sheet?

The more I think about it this could go up to the December 1st deadline of signing RFAs.

17 minutes ago, Motor City Mullets said:

He may have to settle for less in both aav and term if he wants to play this season...With Neely/Sweeney in the public spotlight over this (and the amount $$$ disclosed) might see a rival GM throw Swayman an offer sheet?

The more I think about it this could go up to the December 1st deadline of signing RFAs.

It's also not like any other team has an extra 8 million lying around ten days before the regular season starts.