Troy McClure

2024 Offseason Thread

Rate this topic

1 hour ago, Scott R Lucidi said:

This guy is about to have a 30-35 pt season next year, and a 35-40 pt season the year after that.  All with pretty limited minutes and pretty limited line mates.  I'd say he does what he's expected to do.  This is a good contract.  Will keep him RFA at end of contract, as well.  I give the SCAM and Veleno's agent a solid A rating for this deal.

Can I haz wut yur smokin? 

Veleno is a 4th liner…Nothing stands out with what he does on ice…Not overly skilled nor is he physical…TBH I’d rather have seen that $$$ spent on Sprong.

Veleno has been on the roster bc we have zero decent centers. Theyre treating him like a prospect still. But last year he actually got some limited special teams time. Im fine with this.

3 minutes ago, Motor City Mullets said:

Veleno is a 4th liner…Nothing stands out with what he does on ice…Not overly skilled nor is he physical…TBH I’d rather have seen that $$$ spent on Sprong.

Sprong literally doesnt defend and will be signing in the KHL 

3 minutes ago, Jimmybigrigs69 said:

Veleno has been on the roster bc we have zero decent centers. Theyre treating him like a prospect still. But last year he actually got some limited special teams time. Im fine with this.

Sprong literally doesnt defend and will be signing in the KHL 

At least Sprong can score goals/generate some offense where as Sleepy Joe…Don’t get me wrong - not a big fan of either guy…Joe will likely end up in a similar spot as his draft partner.

16 hours ago, Motor City Mullets said:

You just described Sprong.

Hypothetical trade... Columbus is looking to move Laine, they are fine with retaining salary. They also aren't looking for immediate NHL impact in return, BUT we do have Berggren to offer up. The return is rumored to be only picks, prospects. Here's the trade:

to DET : Patrik Laine (50% retained) $4.35M cap hit

to CBJ : Berggren, 2025 2nd, 2026 3rd, Justin Holl (since we need to clear some cap, plus they only have 6 D signed.)

This actually saves CBJ $1M before signing Berggren. Which you would think he wouldn't cost more than $2M, so they'd only be $1M more towards the cap than having Laine's $8.7M. At the moment they have $17M in cap space, so they'd still have $16M-ish after the deal. They get a 6/7 NHL D-man, they get and 2nd and a 3rd, plus they get an NHL ready top prospect. We get another offensive weapon in our top 9.

Something would still have to be done with Husso, unless Seider and Raymond will be doing bridge team-friendly deals.

Edited by LeftWinger

20 hours ago, Motor City Mullets said:

At least Sprong can score goals/generate some offense where as Sleepy Joe…Don’t get me wrong - not a big fan of either guy…Joe will likely end up in a similar spot as his draft partner.

Funny you should mention Zadina... saw some speculation he's going to sign in Europe... figured I'd swing by for a victory lap since I called that too.

2 hours ago, LeftWinger said:

Hypothetical trade... Columbus is looking to move Laine, they are fine with retaining salary. They also aren't looking for immediate NHL impact in return, BUT we do have Berggren to offer up. The return is rumored to be only picks, prospects. Here's the trade:

to CBJ : Berggren, 2025 2nd, 2026 3rd, Justin Holl (since we need to clear some cap, plus they only have 6 D signed.)

This actually saves CBJ $1M before signing Berggren. Which you would think he wouldn't cost more than $2M, so they'd only be $1M more towards the cap than having Laine's $8.7M. At the moment they have $17M in cap space, so they'd still have $16M-ish after the deal. They get a 6/7 NHL D-man, they get and 2nd and a 3rd, plus they get an NHL ready top prospect. We get another offensive weapon in our top 9.

Something would still have to be done with Husso, unless Seider and Raymond will be doing bridge team-friendly deals.

I'd rather have Berggren than Laine.  Holl is fine... 

3 hours ago, LeftWinger said:

No to Laine. Talented, but problematic.

1 hour ago, mackel said:

Funny you should mention Zadina... saw some speculation he's going to sign in Europe... figured I'd swing by for a victory lap since I called that too.

I'd rather have Berggren than Laine.  Holl is fine... 

So you predicted he'd play 5 seasons, 262 NHL games?

Edited by Axl Foley

Let's see. 7 forwards scored 45 points in the NHL last season.

N. Bjugstad made 2.1 million

R. Hartman made 4 million

A. Kerfoot made 3.5 million

I. Barbashev made 5 million

A. Cirelli made 6.25 million

T. Novak made 3.5 million

Even William Eklund is making 1.775 on a rookie contract.

L. Cooley, 44 points, 4.45m

J.Eberle. 44 points, 4.75m

E. Kane, 44 points, 5.125m

E. Lindholm, 44 points, 7.75m

A. Mantha, 44 points, 3.5m

T. Bertuzzi, 43 points, 5.5 m

D. Sprong, 43 points, 2 m

Signing a desperation deal for way less than market value because there weren't many options left does not change facts.

11 hours ago, Scott R Lucidi said:

@Axl Foley well?

I feel good. Sprong is the only forward, not a rookie deal, who scored 45ish points last season, who did not make over 2 million dollars in salary. One exception does not negate the rule.

On 7/19/2024 at 10:26 PM, Motor City Mullets said:

Don't feed the trolls. He constantly makes up silly names and down talks yzermans moves but then praises a signing of a 4th liner who should get paid half of what he's getting. 

This is guys as big a troll as you can get

On 7/21/2024 at 7:41 AM, LeftWinger said:

So, since there was no arbitration awarded, do we still get another buyout? Or are we going to be a cap ceiling borderline playoff team?

As far as I can tell.... we get a buyout no matter how the player signs (agreement or forced), and starts 3 days after JV signs and ends 5 days later for a single buyout of a contract valued at 4M or higher.

So we could hear something between tues and thurs I'm figuring.

23 hours ago, Axl Foley said:

Let's see. 7 forwards scored 45 points in the NHL last season.

N. Bjugstad made 2.1 million

R. Hartman made 4 million

A. Kerfoot made 3.5 million

I. Barbashev made 5 million

A. Cirelli made 6.25 million

T. Novak made 3.5 million

Even William Eklund is making 1.775 on a rookie contract.

L. Cooley, 44 points, 4.45m

J.Eberle. 44 points, 4.75m

E. Kane, 44 points, 5.125m

E. Lindholm, 44 points, 7.75m

A. Mantha, 44 points, 3.5m

T. Bertuzzi, 43 points, 5.5 m

D. Sprong, 43 points, 2 m

Signing a desperation deal for way less than market value because there weren't many options left does not change facts.

I feel good. Sprong is the only forward, not a rookie deal, who scored 45ish points last season, who did not make over 2 million dollars in salary. One exception does not negate the rule.

Now compare the minutes these players eat to how much Sprong plays.

Points aren't everything partner.

12 minutes ago, town123 said:

So.... Is Husso the only logical buyout candidate?

Pretty much. He's the only non-core player that's eligible besides Petry. And a Petry buyout barely saves us any money.

I don't think we buyout Husso... unless SY really needs the money for another move. 

Unless Seider and Raymond are giving team friendly deals there has to be a buyout, trade or something. There's only $17M left. If you're giving those two at least $16M of it, then there's not enough money left to sign Berggren and keep Johansson up and also possibly keep another kid up. There's just not enough cap.

35 minutes ago, LeftWinger said:

Unless Seider and Raymond are giving team friendly deals there has to be a buyout, trade or something. There's only $17M left. If you're giving those two at least $16M of it, then there's not enough money left to sign Berggren and keep Johansson up and also possibly keep another kid up. There's just not enough cap.

Team friendly deals would be in that $16-17m range imo anything under that would be a steal. Regardless of cap constraints a move needs to be made to make room for another forward. We cant have only 12 forwards and 8 dmen/3 goalies. 1 of Maatta/Holl/Husso will likely be moved and 1 of Danielson/Mazur/Kasper whichever impresses the most in camp will be on the team.

With Lagesson and Edvinsson in GR, and Johansson in Detroit, we have $18.544 mil in cap space. 

That's with 10 forwards, 6 Dmen, and 3 goalies. Once Raymond, Seider, and Berggren are signed, we will be at 12, 7, and 3. 

18.5 should be more than enough to sign all 3. No one NEEDS to be bought out fellas. 

Edited by Jimmybigrigs69

57 minutes ago, Jimmybigrigs69 said:

With Lagesson and Edvinsson in GR, and Johansson in Detroit, we have $18.544 mil in cap space. 

That's with 10 forwards, 6 Dmen, and 3 goalies. Once Raymond, Seider, and Berggren are signed, we will be at 12, 7, and 3. 

18.5 should be more than enough to sign all 3. No one NEEDS to be bought out fellas. 

Edvinsson will be on the team. Its more likely they waive AJo then demote Big E again.

1 hour ago, Jimmybigrigs69 said:

Edvinsson going back to Grand rapids would be a travesty

1 hour ago, Jimmybigrigs69 said:

CORN TROLL EE OH.

Welcome back, doofus.  Good to see your amateur level needling.  It's always fun to see rookies try.