• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Y19

11/17 GDT - Leafs vs. Wings @ Avicii Arena - 2:00 PM EST (8:00 PM Stockholm Time)

Rate this topic

5 hours ago, Troy McClure said:

Why do u think we hate derek

Considering the PP is not directly his responsibility I’m not sure why you hate him. 

I mean I guess Derek could grab Tan-g-ay by the nutz and keep squeezing till the PP got back to 25% territory. 

Edited by The 91 of Ryans

We're scoring enough goals to win most nights (7th in the league in goals per game). Our defense and goaltending is absolute trash though. Chiarot and Petry were on the ice for 4 of the 5 goals scored by Ottawa on Thursday. Reimer and Husso look completely lost most nights. Lyon looked solid actually, but I don't think you'd want to bet your season on him. If the Wings brass wants to make the playoffs this year they need to do a few things:

1. Find a solid goalie. It's gonna have to be via trade and it's going to have to be soon before teams like the Oilers get in the mix.

2. Call up Edvinsson and keep him up and in the top four. Put him with any of Chiarot, Petry, or Holl based on the chemistry of the pair. Walman and Seider are fine and so are Maatta and Gostisbehere on the 3rd pair.

3. STOP. TAKING. STUPID. PENALTIES. Lalonde should use an actual gun and murder the next player that takes a stick penalty late in the 3rd period.

Anything else we do beyond these three things is gravy. I'm not going to be mad if we get more scoring, or another offensive center (Tommy Novak anyone?) or whatever. But to make the playoffs the things I listed need to be dealt with immediately.

Edited by kipwinger

9 minutes ago, kipwinger said:

We're scoring enough goals to win most nights. Our defense and goaltending is absolute trash though. Chiarot and Petry were on the ice for 4 of the 5 goals scored by Ottawa on Thursday. Reimer and Husso look completely lost most nights. Lyon looked solid actually, but I don't think you'd want to bet your season on him. If the Wings brass wants to make the playoffs this year they need to do a few things:

1. Find a solid goalie. It's gonna have to be via trade and it's going to have to be soon before teams like the Oilers get in the mix.

2. Call up Edvinsson and keep him up and in the top four. Put him with any of Chiarot, Petry, or Holl based on the chemistry of the pair. Walman and Seider are fine and so are Maatta and Gostisbehere on the 3rd pair.

3. STOP. TAKING. STUPID. PENALTIES. Lalonde should use an actual gun and murder the next player that takes a stick penalty late in the 3rd period.

Anything else we do beyond these three things is gravy. I'm not going to be mad if we get more scoring, or another offensive center (Tommy Novak anyone?) or whatever. But to make the playoffs the things I listed need to be dealt with immediately.

Who or what (picks) do we deal in order to acquire the goalie? And which goalie? Calgary is tearing it down, could we get a package from them including Markstrom or Vladar? Along with Hanafin or Zadarov? What's the price? 

Just now, LeftWinger said:

Who or what (picks) do we deal in order to acquire the goalie? And which goalie? Calgary is tearing it down, could we get a package from them including Markstrom or Vladar? Along with Hanafin or Zadarov? What's the price? 

Hard to say who to target. Most teams aren't already out of the playoff picture so they'd generally be reluctant to part ways with a goalie I'd think. Vladar sucks. Markstrom has been good but he's old and has a bad contract (which should make him cheaper to acquire), but will he hold up?

I've mentioned John Gibson elsewhere so I'll throw another name out there. Juuse Saros. He's young, really good, is on a bad team, and will be a UFA in a year (and there's no way he's staying in Nashville). He'd cost a lot but he's probably the best goalie that could reasonably be had. Nashville is about to start rebuilding so they'd want futures. I'd imagine you're looking at a 1st plus a good prospect and maybe a decent young roster player. Something like 1st, Berggren/Veleno, and Wallinder/Johansson/Mazur. Just a guess but I think that would be you in the ballpark.

2 minutes ago, kipwinger said:

Hard to say who to target. Most teams aren't already out of the playoff picture so they'd generally be reluctant to part ways with a goalie I'd think. Vladar sucks. Markstrom has been good but he's old and has a bad contract (which should make him cheaper to acquire), but will he hold up?

I've mentioned John Gibson elsewhere so I'll throw another name out there. Juuse Saros. He's young, really good, is on a bad team, and will be a UFA in a year (and there's no way he's staying in Nashville). He'd cost a lot but he's probably the best goalie that could reasonably be had. Nashville is about to start rebuilding so they'd want futures. I'd imagine you're looking at a 1st plus a good prospect and maybe a decent young roster player. Something like 1st, Berggren/Veleno, and Wallinder/Johansson/Mazur. Just a guess but I think that would be you in the ballpark.

We'd have to dump a goalie. Maybe send Husso over to Edmonton? He's not great obviously, but he's better than what they have. Plus we'd have to make room for Edvinsson.

I agree though, these things need to happen if they want to make the playoffs. Question is, will bold moves be made or are we going to limp through another lottery season....

I like the idea of Saros. Bring up Edvinsson and add scoring (Kane.) Could be a great recipe for making the playoffs. But that's 3 roster spots that'll have to be opened via trade. We'll since Czarnik was waived, I guess only 2 spots.

19 hours ago, kipwinger said:

I think Markstrom is the best fit for the reasons you mentioned. He'd be cheap. He should be available, and he only has 2 years left on his deal after this season. That takes him to 35/36, which isn't terrible for a goalie. 

52 minutes ago, marcaractac said:

I think Markstrom is the best fit for the reasons you mentioned. He'd be cheap. He should be available, and he only has 2 years left on his deal after this season. That takes him to 35/36, which isn't terrible for a goalie. 

He's definitely worth taking a look at. He's having a bad season this year but Calgary isn't helping him much.

50 minutes ago, kipwinger said:

He's definitely worth taking a look at. He's having a bad season this year but Calgary isn't helping him much.

For sure. I think he can easily be had for half price. 

Markstrom-Lyon is definitely a duo that stresses me out a lot less than Husso-Reimer

Husso may bounce back with the birth of his first kid.   Sometimes, no matter what sport, I've seen guys focus so much better once the anxiety of their wives  pregnancy ends and reality kicks in.   

Happened to a number of guys I know with different professions and myself.   When you have  one or more miscarriages it can really affect your brain, especially the fear of having your wife getting crushed emotionally again.

Just a thought... who knows.

On 11/19/2023 at 8:33 AM, LeftWinger said:

Remember when the power play was nearly unstoppable? Why did they change it up? Whoever suggested it or did it is a fool.

Opposing teams watch game tapes - figured out how to stop the Wings.

IMHO our #1 issue is consistency, playing a full game starting with the 1st period...That can be on the coaching staff.

5 hours ago, town123 said:

Husso may bounce back with the birth of his first kid.   Sometimes, no matter what sport, I've seen guys focus so much better once the anxiety of their wives  pregnancy ends and reality kicks in.   

Happened to a number of guys I know with different professions and myself.   When you have  one or more miscarriages it can really affect your brain, especially the fear of having your wife getting crushed emotionally again.

Just a thought... who knows.

I was thinking the same thing. Had no idea he was preggers till he had to leave the Sweden trip. He needs to go live in the garage and make wife raise the brat on her own while he gets some rest. Better yet, her and the kid should go live in the garage.

2 hours ago, Motor City Mullets said:

Opposing teams watch game tapes - figured out how to stop the Wings.

IMHO our #1 issue is consistency, playing a full game starting with the 1st period...That can be on the coaching staff.

Coaching is the weakest spot on this team IMO.

>Husso sucks

Keeps playing him while Lyon sits

>PP is awesome

Completely change it so its no longer awesome

>Walman-Seider slumping

Refuse to change this

>demand to trade for Petry

He sucks and is often scratched

>team is wildy inconsistent

They dont call him LOLande for nothing

36 minutes ago, The 91 of Ryans said:

Team won't make the playoff till they get a coach with some hair............

Melrose?  

They definitely need a tougher coach.  And some players who play with emotion.  There's too many androgynous robots on this team.  No fire.  No passion.  No personality.  No leadership.  The fans root for the logo in the front but that doesn't mean we don't have players we want to root for.  

Edited by GMRwings1983

24 minutes ago, GMRwings1983 said:

Melrose?  

They definitely need a tougher coach.  And some players who play with emotion.  There's too many androgynous robots on this team.  No fire.  No passion.  No personality.  No leadership.  The fans root for the logo in the front but that doesn't mean we don't have players we want to root for.  

HC: Quennville

AC: Babcock

AC: Peters

GC: Howard

VC: Aldrich

We would be unstoppable

On 11/20/2023 at 1:52 PM, The 91 of Ryans said:

Team won't make the playoff till they get a coach with some hair............

I was born for this opportunity!

On 11/20/2023 at 2:56 PM, Troy McClure said:

HC: Quennville

AC: Babcock

AC: Peters

GC: Howard

VC: Aldrich

We would be unstoppable

Special Guest Appearance: 

F_OpLbYWUAA99Ux?format=jpg&name=small

Edited by Motor City Mullets