• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

kickazz

2/2 GDT - Red Wings @ Hurricanes - 7:00 PM EST

Rate this topic

I just caught the highlights of this one, looks like it was a good showing on the road by the boys!  So do you ride Petr while he's hot?  He seems to be the type that loves a heavy workload while he's playing well so imo he should go tomorrow too...Though it's all kinda bittersweet, as much as Id love to ignore their "push for the playoffs" watching them play like garbage and lose sucks ass.  Seeing them play a consistently good game and getting W's I'll gladly take instead

3 minutes ago, 13dangledangle said:

I just caught the highlights of this one, looks like it was a good showing on the road by the boys!  So do you ride Petr while he's hot?  He seems to be the type that loves a heavy workload while he's playing well so imo he should go tomorrow too...Though it's all kinda bittersweet, as much as Id love to ignore their "push for the playoffs" watching them play like garbage and lose sucks ass.  Seeing them play a consistently good game and getting W's I'll gladly take instead

Blash hadn’t ruled out playing Mrazek tomorrow before the game tonight. Wouldn’t be surprised if he or Howard starts. Toss up.

If we were a better team, play Mrazek because you're not looking to trade a goaltender, but responsibly you play Howard as you don't want Mrazek getting injured and ruining his trade value (which has to be up at this point). I'm not saying that I think they'll trade Mrazek, but it's best to keep your options open. My only hope is that they don't think they should hold on to everyone and make a run because that is piss poor decision making when you KNOW you need to obtain more picks and improve this team in the long-run. Maybe they squeak into the playoffs, but they'll get tossed very quickly in the first round anyway. The offense and the defense cannot sustain this as they're just not that good. My other hope is that they don't think Blashill is suddenly "turning the corner" or whatever because he is still a sub-par NHL coach and they HAVE to improve in that area going forward. Still crossing my fingers for a complete GM/Coaching overhaul. Bring in Bylsma, for example.

44 minutes ago, SwedeLundin77 said:

If we were a better team, play Mrazek because you're not looking to trade a goaltender, but responsibly you play Howard as you don't want Mrazek getting injured and ruining his trade value (which has to be up at this point). I'm not saying that I think they'll trade Mrazek, but it's best to keep your options open. My only hope is that they don't think they should hold on to everyone and make a run because that is piss poor decision making when you KNOW you need to obtain more picks and improve this team in the long-run. Maybe they squeak into the playoffs, but they'll get tossed very quickly in the first round anyway. The offense and the defense cannot sustain this as they're just not that good. My other hope is that they don't think Blashill is suddenly "turning the corner" or whatever because he is still a sub-par NHL coach and they HAVE to improve in that area going forward. Still crossing my fingers for a complete GM/Coaching overhaul. Bring in Bylsma, for example.

I think the focus is still on selling assets at the deadline. Green will be traded. Tatar or Nyquist, if they can find a trade partner, I hope Goose goes. XO might not have a taker, and if he does it’ll be minimal return. I don’t think either goalie will be gone by the deadline. It would be nice to do it, but there’s no real market. Things have changed drastically in a short amount of time in goal for Detroit. A few weeks may not be enough time to figure out their plans.

Playoffs won’t happen for this team. Tbey are 8 points out of last wildcard. They will have to win most of their 30 odd remaining games and hope all the team’s higher in the standings lose a bunch. 

They can focus on playing as well as they can of course, but the deadline deals should still go ahead as planned. You can’t hang onto Green just for a futile playoff attempt and let him walk for nothing July 1. 

6 hours ago, chaps80 said:

I think the focus is still on selling assets at the deadline. Green will be traded. Tatar or Nyquist, if they can find a trade partner, I hope Goose goes. XO might not have a taker, and if he does it’ll be minimal return. I don’t think either goalie will be gone by the deadline. It would be nice to do it, but there’s no real market. Things have changed drastically in a short amount of time in goal for Detroit. A few weeks may not be enough time to figure out their plans.

Playoffs won’t happen for this team. Tbey are 8 points out of last wildcard. They will have to win most of their 30 odd remaining games and hope all the team’s higher in the standings lose a bunch. 

They can focus on playing as well as they can of course, but the deadline deals should still go ahead as planned. You can’t hang onto Green just for a futile playoff attempt and let him walk for nothing July 1. 

We're actually only 6 points out with a game in hand. It's possible that we could be only 4 points out with a game in hand by the end of the day, if Ottawa beats Philadelphia this afternoon and we beat Florida tonight. We could potentially be within a few points or even in a wild card spot three weeks from now, especially if Mrazek keeps up his current level of play.

Does anyone really believe Holland will sell at the deadline if we're in the mix for a playoff spot? I don't, and that's what's scary about this situation. Everyone knows that we should sell at the deadline, except probably the one man that matters. Holland's future is unknown at this point, so why would he not go for it again in what could be his last season? Most people in his situation wouldn't be looking beyond this season. Hopefully he still has an eye on the future or it could really f*** this team long term.

I've never had a tank mentality, but I truly do believe this team needs to start losing a few more games. Regardless of our positioning at the deadline, we should be selling off assets. That just isn't going to happen if we're even remotely close though. Green has to go. It would be a complete failure to hold on to such a valuable trading chip. I'd also shop Nyquist / Tatar (I'd prefer to trade Tatar, but Nyquist would garner more interest / better return), Helm, Ouellet, Howard...

20 minutes ago, kickazz said:

Then you probably don’t want Mrazek playing right now

Mrazek is really ******* up the tank right now. Watch us make the playoffs, not sell, and draft 19th or something. Of course Mrazek FINALLY starts giving a s*** about hockey at the worst possible time. Thanks Petr.

4 hours ago, krsmith17 said:

We're actually only 6 points out with a game in hand. It's possible that we could be only 4 points out with a game in hand by the end of the day, if Ottawa beats Philadelphia this afternoon and we beat Florida tonight. We could potentially be within a few points or even in a wild card spot three weeks from now, especially if Mrazek keeps up his current level of play.

Does anyone really believe Holland will sell at the deadline if we're in the mix for a playoff spot? I don't, and that's what's scary about this situation. Everyone knows that we should sell at the deadline, except probably the one man that matters. Holland's future is unknown at this point, so why would he not go for it again in what could be his last season? Most people in his situation wouldn't be looking beyond this season. Hopefully he still has an eye on the future or it could really f*** this team long term.

I've never had a tank mentality, but I truly do believe this team needs to start losing a few more games. Regardless of our positioning at the deadline, we should be selling off assets. That just isn't going to happen if we're even remotely close though. Green has to go. It would be a complete failure to hold on to such a valuable trading chip. I'd also shop Nyquist / Tatar (I'd prefer to trade Tatar, but Nyquist would garner more interest / better return), Helm, Ouellet, Howard...

Your right. Holland May stand pat if there’s a remote chance at playoffs. That is kinda spooky.

Green has to go no matter what. The rest I’m not worried about. But they can’t miss out on the potential assets from a Green trade, playoffs or not. 

20 minutes ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

Mrazek is really ******* up the tank right now. Watch us make the playoffs, not sell, and draft 19th or something. Of course Mrazek FINALLY starts giving a s*** about hockey at the worst possible time. Thanks Petr.

He sounds very content and confident, not worrying about trade rumours, and says he’s happy in Detroit. Also, Howard seems to be cool with it and supportive. That probably helps some.

But, the team publicly bringing out his attitude issues and lack of work ethic, and exposing him to Vegas in the summer still may have him a bit pissed. 

He got a shot and he’s taking full advantage of it so far. 

But I highly doubt he “planned” this to throw a wrench in the works to f*** with Holland’s deadline plans just to be vindictive, but it is a funny coincidence, that’s for damn sure!

1 hour ago, kickazz said:

Then you probably don’t want Mrazek playing right now

That's a tough one... I want all the kids playing and playing well. That includes Mrazek. If Larkin, Mantha or Athanasiou went on a tear and started single handedly winning us games, I wouldn't suggest benching them for a chance at a better pick... I want Mrazek to continue getting the bulk of the starts, and I want him to keep up the strong play, but if we find ways to lose a few of these games, I'm not going to be too upset... Ideally for me, the kids continue to play well, put up points, but we fall short in half the games remaining. I really want a chance at a top 3 pick this year...

10 minutes ago, krsmith17 said:

That's a tough one... I want all the kids playing and playing well. That includes Mrazek. If Larkin, Mantha or Athanasiou went on a tear and started single handedly winning us games, I wouldn't suggest benching them for a chance at a better pick... I want Mrazek to continue getting the bulk of the starts, and I want him to keep up the strong play, but if we find ways to lose a few of these games, I'm not going to be too upset... Ideally for me, the kids continue to play well, put up points, but we fall short in half the games remaining. I really want a chance at a top 3 pick this year...

The way I see it is, Mrazek continues to play and plays well, solidifying that he may just have a future here and we can re-sign him and trade/waive Howard. The other option is he keeps playing well and we can trade him for better assets pre-deadline. The more picks the better. 

Mrazek needs to stop winning games if we want that high draft pick.

He keeps winning and we're screwed. I'd prefer him to do well but LOSE. 

Some of you guys are looking at Mrazek's success and thinking "yes maybe he'll end up being as good as we anticipated!". But the reality could be that this is just a continuation of his same old inconsistency of him going through a good stretch then fading out. If he does continue this stretch, and we miss out on the high pick and then Mrazek reverts back to being bad (hence his inconsistent nature), we're f***ed. 

FFS February aka the trade deadline month  is not the month to win in Ken Holland's world. I have a feeling Holland might look at a good stretch run and not sell at all. This little stretch Mrazek is having should have came in December or November. 

Edited by kickazz

2 minutes ago, kickazz said:

Mrazek needs to stop winning games if we want that high draft pick.

He keeps winning and we're screwed. I'd prefer him to do well but LOSE. 

Some of you guys are looking at Mrazek's success and thinking "yes maybe he'll end up being as good as we anticipated!". But the reality could be that this is just a continuation of his same old inconsistency of him going through a good stretch then fading out. If he does continue this stretch, and we miss out on the high pick and then Mrazek reverts back to being bad (hence his inconsistent nature), we're f***ed. 

FFS February aka the trade deadline month  is not the month to win, I have a feeling Holland might look at a good stretch run and not sell at all. This little stretch he's having should have came in December or November. 

February is the last month you want to start winning in. Mrazek is the most frustrating player.

A few more wins and Holland won't sell.. then in 2018/19 we will have the same team as this year. I don't think there's one person that wants to see that happen.

Where has this goalie been the past 160 games? Of all times to turn it back on....

@ChristopherReevesLegs you're being sarcastic but I'm actually being serious.

I'm not annoyed at Mrazek, I'm annoyed at the naive nature of the fanbase that doesn't realize the consequences of Mrazek doing well in Feb. 

Holland WILL get complacent to make a trade if there's a shot of becoming a wild card. 

Edited by kickazz

5 minutes ago, kickazz said:

I'm not annoyed at Mrazek, I'm annoyed at the naive nature of the fanbase that doesn't realize the consequences of Mrazek doing well in Feb. 

Holland WILL get complacent to make a trade if there's a shot of becoming a wild card. 

No sarcasm. Completely serious.

The same people who are jacked up to sell Green and co are the same people praising Mrazek for winning. Everyone needs to wake up and realize these things do not go hand-in-hand.

Holland will hold on to every last piece if we are in the playoff picture. Hell I could see him trading a prospect for a 35 year old depth player again. That's his MO.

A winning streak by Mraz will end up ******* us over worse than him succeeding at this point. He just couldn't wait one more month. I really am actually starting to hate this guy.

3 hours ago, kickazz said:

I fully realize the consequences of him starting to play well this close to the deadline with regards to Holland trading assets.

It’s a weird situation, because i’ve been waiting for him to get it together, and glad he has. But with Holland’s nature, this may seem to him like the time to wait trades out and even stand pat if a playoff spot is in reach, even remotely.

In the end though, Mrazek stepping up and continuing to play well is and would be a major plus for the team going forward. Even a key thing going forward. It may cost the team in other areas, but sometimes gaining things doesnt happen without losing others.

If he keeps Green around for a maybe playoff spot, that’s just plain bad asset management. He’s gotta go regardless of what the goalies are doing. Team is not winning a Cup.

2 minutes ago, chaps80 said:

I fully realize the consequences of him starting to play well this close to the deadline with regards to Holland trading assets.

It’s a weird situation, because i’ve been waiting for him to get it together, and glad he has. But with Holland’s nature, this may seem to him like the time to wait trades out and even stand pat if a playoff spot is in reach, even remotely.

In the end though, Mrazek stepping up and continuing to play well is and would be a major plus for the team going forward. Even a key thing going forward. It may cost the team in other areas, but sometimes gaining things doesnt happen without losing others.

If he keeps Green around for a maybe playoff spot, that’s just plain bad asset management. He’s gotta go regardless of what the goalies are doing. Team is not winning a Cup.

If we keep Green, it will be Mrazek's fault

3 hours ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

No sarcasm. Completely serious.

The same people who are jacked up to sell Green and co are the same people praising Mrazek for winning. Everyone needs to wake up and realize these things do not go hand-in-hand.

Holland will hold on to every last piece if we are in the playoff picture. Hell I could see him trading a prospect for a 35 year old depth player again. That's his MO.

A winning streak by Mraz will end up ******* us over worse than him succeeding at this point. He just couldn't wait one more month. I really am actually starting to hate this guy.

You can blame Holland but not Mrazek. Mrazek shouldn’t want to suck because Holland is playoff happy. 

Just now, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

If we keep Green, it will be Mrazek's fault

No it’s Hollands.

8 minutes ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

Mrazek sucks for 160+ games and now suddenly decides to play well a month before the deadline. Hopefully he's traded because he is going to screw us.

He took his time getting his s*** together, I agree. But if Howard was still starting most games and they were winning them, would that be his fault too? Or would that be ok since he’s been fairly consistent all season?

Its not like Mrazek decided to play half ass until the deadline was close then turn it up all of a sudden to screw Holland out of draft picks to be a vindictive ******* for the expansion draft exposure and comments about his attitude and work ethic. 

He’s had great games earlier this season. He just was never given the chance to build on them because Blash was playing Howard, and rightly so. Maybe this started out as a showcasing for trading him, and Blash and Kenny didn’t expect these kind of results out of him. Too bad.